Product Type
Application Area
Lighting Effect
Product Type
Application Area
Lighting Effect

Il Forte Michelangelo

About Project

Between 2013 and 2014 the area around the Forte Michelangelo (Michelangelo fortress) in Civitavecchia was totally redesigned with spacious green areas, fountains and walkways that link the historic harbour to the marina.

The Forte Michelangelo is one of the most prestigious monuments on the Lazio coast. Construction work began on it in 1508 during the papacy of Pope Julius II under the supervision of Bramante. When Bramante died in 1514, his two pupils, Giuliano Leno and Antonio da Sangallo, took over and completed most of the project apart from the keep, in 1535 during the papacy of Pope Paul III. The keep was entrusted to the master artist and architect, Michelangelo, who submitted his design in the same year in which he began painting his ultimate masterpiece, The Last Judgement, on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

First and foremost, the new lighting project for the area was asked to take into account the prestigious heritage of this monument. It was also requested to meet a considerable number of requirements, ranging from road to pedestrian viability, vegetation to fountain illumination and the design of a mobile luminaire for the gate. Last, but not least, it also had to take into consideration the structure’s architectural features and its position in a windy, saline environment that is particularly corrosive for surface treatments and coatings.

The fortress has always been the most important monument in this area, and a favourite spot for locals to take a walk or run, thanks to its combination of greenery, jetties and docks illuminated by Waterapp underwater luminaires. The promenade that runs along the docks is particularly picturesque thanks to parts of the old wall illuminated by Light Up luminaires and more recently built structures in which recessed Miniwalky luminaires were inserted to provide effective safety lighting. The roads are lit with Wow luminaires fitted with a specific street optic for heavy vehicular traffic (ST1.2), whereas Crown luminaires with a symmetrical optic and a colour temperature of 4000 K were used for the walkways. 4000 K is the colour temperature adopted for the entire area. Alongside the docks, general, diffused lighting is created with pole-mounted luminaires and iWay bollards that mark out the promenade, especially when it runs near the water.

The overall atmosphere is pleasant, consistent and enhances the entire architectural environment in harmony with the newly added street furniture.

One element that was specifically designed to meet the customer’s requests is the crown that runs along the balustrade surrounding the fortress. The method of operation for defining this feature emphasizes once again iGuzzini’s capacity to work closely together with all the various entities in the project, including the customer, the local heritage office, Enel Sole, the company supplying the dynamic lighting for the fort’s façade and the building contractor.
 

Working on a similar project?

Need more information?

  • Year:
    2014
  • Client:
    Autorità Portuale di Civitavecchia, Fiumicino e Gaeta – Capitaneria di Porto
  • Lighting project:
    Ufficio Progetti Autorità Portuale di Civitavecchia, Fiumicino e Gaeta Giuseppe Solinas, Marco Vettraino, Vittorio Lauro, Jacopo Turchetti, Marcello Capparella
  • Structural engineering:
    Ufficio Progetti Autorità Portuale di Civitavecchia, Fiumicino e Gaeta Giuseppe Solinas, Marco Vettraino, Vittorio Lauro, Jacopo Turchetti, Marcello Capparella
  • Photographer:
    Riccardo Budini / Looma

The Blade

We are always fascinated by beauty. Beauty is what lends things their immortality.
hidden button