Search for products by keyword or product code.
Get help starting your search.
The International School of Zug and Luzern (ISZL) is an important feature in Baar: around 1,200 students from 50 countries are registered at the school which uses an international syllabus. The ISZL has 3 sites: Baar, Hünenberg and Lucerne. In Baar, under the direction of architectural firm Germann & Achermann, a new secondary school building was designed and built. The main body consists of the Hall, a huge, construction which is half sunk into the ground. The three-storey school building is a wooden structure with a glass and metal facade. The entire building meets MINERGIE® standards, a quality label for new and refurbished buildings. The label is jointly supported by the Swiss economic establishment, by the Cantons and the Confederation. That also involves compliance with special lighting requirements.
The designers also had to take into account that the new buildings are divided into three different sectors: the “general zone”, indicating parts of the building such as corridors and stairwells, the classrooms and the Hall. The general zone is mostly lit with Sistema Easy luminaires using PL-R fluorescent lamps which, despite their low power, have a greater output than conventional lamps. So, with a small number of lamps, it was possible to provide the overall lighting power needed, at the same time ensuring optimum compliance with Minergie requirements. A Mini Light Air lighting system was used in the classrooms, automatically adjusting to exterior lighting conditions, providing only the lighting needed to supplement natural light, which was an essential factor to guarantee optimum conditions for teaching. The pendant Mini Light Air luminaires give out only 70% direct light, the remaining 30% being indirect, producing a very pleasant lighting effect. The Hall, which at eight metres is double height, had to be fitted with lighting able to allow the set-up of big exhibitions, meetings and theatrical performances. Powerful Reflex recessed luminaires were used, avoiding glare. Finally, the foyer lighting consists of LED Pixel Plus luminaires, on one hand satisfying Minergie requirements relating to maximum emission per square metre, and on the other creating lighting effects which emphasise the foyer compared with the other areas.
Overall, this resulted in a building with a 4,800 square metre surface area which, with its modern structure, is a hugely effective stylistic contrast with the adjacent neo-baroque style church.
Need more information?